Thursday, June 28, 2012

Domestic Bliss, Shiny Silver, and Killer T-shirts!


A few years ago, I bumped into a friend who lived a couple of doors along the street. She had a new baby and, as I hadn't seen her around for a few weeks, I was anxious to see how she was getting on.

"Well', she said, "the other night on the sofa, the baby was on my chest, semi-feeding/semi-sleeping. My husband was dozing with his head on my shoulder, and the cat was curled up on my feet."

Wow, I thought, she's painting a picture of domestic bliss early on, for a new mum...

She continued, "...and I thought to myself, - why can't they all just piss off?!"

Sometimes, though, having your kids hanging round your neck can be okay. Db designs make it stylish. One of the pieces I wear most often by db designs is a beautiful little silver disc, with my children's names engraved on it. They come in a variety of styles and can be customized in different ways. Obviously you have your own children's names on it. Don't be silly.
Custom Name Pendants


 I wear mine for weeks at a time; as it is made of sterling silver, it polishes up beautifully after the beach, pool or just being sweaty. (Beautiful weather can throw us all into a quandary-  yes I do fancy a day at the beach, but what about my silver jewelry! Ha!)

I also wear it a lot because it goes well with T shirts. I am a sucker for amusing T shirt slogans. (One which I like and sadly will never be qualified to wear reads  "To err is human; to forgive, divine". On the back it states " Neither is Marine Corps policy"  One I might wear more often, "The meek shall inherit the earth. Just keep them off the rugby pitch"). My kids bought me a fantastic T -shirt for Christmas. It is a grown-up understated brown colour and, in artistic font, it reads "Miss Scarlett, in the hall, with the revolver". I wandered up to the deli counter at the shop the other day, and the lady said "I like your T-shirt". I preened, "Thanks". She left a long pause and then added "My daughter's a teacher". 

It took me a long time to work out how she could have possibly thought her comment relevant. "?" "Miss Scarlet, in the hall, with.....NO!" Have you never played 'Clue' (Cluedo in the UK)? Why would they make a shirt about a teacher in the hall with a gun?Why would anybody think I would wear anything in that vein? Good grief! I am in the middle of a complicated green card application process! I clutched my packages to my chest and almost backed out of the shop. 

 For anyone looking to send presents abroad, then, the little silver discs are probably perfect, being light, easily shipped, and unlikely to cause a problem with the authorities. I would send one to my friend. But, then again, I have a really good T-shirt slogan in mind for her.....

2 comments:

  1. I truly love your rejection of the painted and painfully perfect family picture. Love the blog.
    Just a quick question, will Danielle create a silver cutlery jewelry piece from one's own collection of useless family heirlooms? I feel like getting some Christmas shopping in. -Nisha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Nisha, Danielle here. Upon request, I sometimes do use a client's silver to create pieces for them, however, the flatware must be solid Sterling, not plate. If you are interested in a custom piece/pieces, please email me at Danielle@dbdesignsjewelry.com or contact me thru the website, www.dbdesignsjewelry.com, to discuss specifics. I should let you know that I stop accepting custom holiday orders on November 1.
      Cheers!

      Delete