Sunday, May 6, 2012

I'm Sure There Was Something...


I'm sure there was something I was supposed to be doing today, rather than embarking on a new blog.....

No matter. I'm sure it'll come to me.

I am a Brit, currently living in the USA, and have been here for three and a half years. I have met many new friends, most of them interesting and amusing (a prerequisite among friends) and one of these is Danielle, who makes jewelry under the name db designs. 

She needed someone to help with her social media sites and thought a mouthy Brit might be just the thing. When she explained what social media site managing actually was, I agreed. I play on facebook with the best of them and blogging sounds like it was invented as a name for my ramblings. Scary stuff, though, this first one.

It's funny how, although I am never short of things to say (I married my husband partly because he was the first man to quietly say 'Shush, now" to me, when we all knew it needed saying), getting started on this brings a whole new level of excitement. I hope to be blogging about all sorts of inconsequential things- random ponderings, and day-to-day hassles (I have three kids who will be 8, 9 and 10 next week. Not all at once- I mean the youngest will turn 8. Keep up.) From time to time, however, I will be highlighting my favourite pieces of Danielle's jewelry. She is ethically aware, donating 10% of gross profits to charities, committed to fair trade, ecologically sound (using eco-friendly chemicals), and most importantly makes beautiful, affordable and unique pieces that I am constantly amazed by, and proud to wear. Now, for example, I have a fork on my wrist. No, really. But that's a story for another blog...
I would like to apologise now for the inconsistencies in the grammar and spelling you will encounter. Mostly I intend to write and spell as comes naturally (which will mean that you'll have to live with words like colour, I'm afraid, no matter how much the little red line shouts at me). Sometimes, though, you may find that American phrases have seeped into my everyday language (too much time with the kids in the car and the windows shut), and they just pop out without being recognised as odd by me. What can I say? A friend once paraphrased to me that adaptability is a sign of intelligence. Maybe coupled with the obstinacy in my spelling, it just reaffirms the gemini in me.
The exception to this rule, is that I shall always spell 'jewelry' thus. I feel it only polite as this is, after all, a blog from a jewelry business. (Yes, I know, I'd almost forgotten too). 
So, thank you for reading. I have a feeling this may turn into another all-encompassing, child-neglect-inducing way of making my time evaporate, like watching Grey's Anatomy or Facebooking/ Tweeting (Oh yes! We're on there too!). Something that I become absorbed by and takes over most of my waking moments, when I should be attending to the kids or cooking something delicious.

Oh. Or sorting laundry. 

No comments:

Post a Comment